Monday, July 22, 2013

Tag Tuesday: A Fish Tale

Grandpa loved to fish.  He tied his own flies and escaped the tedium of women's work after the farm chores were done by heading down to the stream, his creel in tow. We children loved to listen to his story of the BIG one that got away.  Each time he told the story, the BIG one seemed to get BIGger. By the time I was a teen, and the story had been told for many summers, that fish seemed to have grown as BIG as our house!
For my tag, I used a base of cardboard from a recycled box. I (finally) used a .50 cent frame I purchased from a craft store clearance bin. It required many coats of acrylic paint to get it looking like weathered wood. Grandpa is a Magenta lithograph stamp, with a coat of glaze on top. The BIG one is a rainbow trout from Google Images with a coat of glaze, and the smaller trout are stamped, colored, and hooked with a Tim Holtz pin.  I smashed a bottle cap, a common sight on the road when night fishing with my father, and added an image of a trout stamp (license) coated with glaze.

Dwelllings' Amaze Me Monday
Weekend Showoff Party
Time Travel Thursday
Inspire Me Tuesdays at a Stroll Through Life
Knick of Time Tuesday
You're Gonna Love It
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Show Me What You Got Tuesdays
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesdays
Share Your Cup Thursdays
Grace at Home

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful tag and that frame is quite perfect.
I adore all the detailing, details to my mind are all important, aren't they?
Quite wonderful.
Wishes
Lynne

Christina Paul said...

Looks great! Love the unique touches!

Laura said...

I love, love, love this!! It is so wonderfully creative! I've never made anything like this before and I don't know if I could, but I would so like to!
The art is amazing, but it's even more special because of what it means to you. Great job!

Lynn Stevens said...

Love your Fish tales story Laura, Reminds me of the ones my hubby tells. LOL
What a wonderfully creative project and a great tribute to your Grandfather.

Thanks so much for your kind words on my blog. Your so sweet!
Hugs Lynn

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Laura, this tag is awesome! My hubby is an avid fly fisher. I would love to make something similar. The fish stories are always so much fun! I love your super creativeness!
hugs,
Jann

Ivy and Elephants said...

I loved the fish tale, so cute! Thanks for sharing with us, we featured you this week! Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button!
Hugs,
Patti