Sunday, July 28, 2013

Inspired Sunday and Topanga Vintage Market!

Whew! What a busy, busy week and a fun and busy weekend!  I spent most of the day today baking in the sun at the Topanga Vintage market, about a twenty-five minute drive from my house and about another twenty-five minutes from Los Angeles.

There are all sorts of vintage and antique things to buy and so many different types of people. This area is a gathering place for hippies, artists, and people in all aspects of the entertainment industry - even some famous actors, although I never run into very many. It's a very eclectic place to be. 
View of the market
Tori Spelling on the right

I missed a cabinet even better than this one!
I decided to go alone, because that way I could spend as much time browsing and talking to strangers as I wished. (And I wouldn't have hubby saying, "Do you really need that?" - LOL!) It was a lovely, although sweltering day.  I spent all my "mad" money, and came away with a whole lot more projects that I need to do!!!
YIKES! Looks a lot junkier on the table than it does in my mind!
I had hoped to find a blue Ball or Mason jar for a good price, and I did - $10.00 for this really huge one.  I was also looking for a vintage Rolodex to alter, probably for Artist Trading Card sized pieces, and I found this metal one for $3.00.   The roll of pink cording with a million zillion yards on it made its way into my bag for $2.00!  It helps to have a Southern accent in California!  :-)  I see a lot of pink cording cards for gifts for my friends in the future!  I also found a few buttons and some jewelry to rework into vintage pieces, 

and this surprising box full of old Cashmere Bouquet sample bottles 
and herb boxes from a pharmacy:



The Cashmere Bouquet bottles have a diamond type pattern and the other bottles contain hair tonic--I think the shape will be perfect for dolls!  The vendor wanted to offload them, so he offered me the entire box for 15.00! With all the pieces, it comes out to .30 each - what a deal! I definitely see an altered bottle class coming up for my friends! I love the packaging and will probably scan and make a sheet of tags and labels from the box fronts. Then I'll tie them with ribbon, add flowers, and display in a large apothecary jar. (Got a vintage glass one there, too, for $2.00, but forgot to photograph it!) 

I had a very fun time, but I think I need to stop thrifting for a while.  If I don't, I will soon have to rent space at the market!

Inspired Sunday
I have so enjoyed visiting your blogs--very inspiring!  I hope you are enjoying visiting each other as well.  Everyone seems to love thrifting and repurposing, and I was certain that this is what the theme of the features would be, until I read about "Familiar Acts" from Sherry at the Charm of Home

Thrifting and shopping and this blog are ways I care for myself and fill my own cup, but her short little post reminded me about the "familiar" acts - those little things we do every day for someone else that really mean a lot to them.  I fluff my hubby's pillow each night, and he says that he just can't do it the way I can (smile).  And he usually makes coffee for me each morning - something I so appreciate.  Did her post also make you stop and think a little as it did me?

Not quite a "familiar act" done every day, but an act full of love just the same is the lovely playroom Jann set up for her "grandies." (Oh how I'd love to be one of them!)  Be sure to visit her blog to see the Portugal-inspired playroom she created for them.
128
Another act of love I saw this week is a mother's sharing of her past with her children, the way Paula from Elephants and Ivy shared her childhood toys with her adorable son and daughter. You will see the delight on their faces and will probably recognize some of the toys as part of your childhood too!
Thank you so much everyone for linking up, visiting, and sharing your lives and loves with me and us all. You really do inspire! Have a beautiful week.
                                                                                             Laura


5 comments:

The Charm of Home said...

Thank you for highlighting my post from last week. It just really hit me how much little things matter. Anyway...this week I'm all about food! LOL Have a great week!
Sherry

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Laura,
Thanks so much for hosting and also for always stopping by!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Unknown said...

Great Post! I love reading about flea market adventures and I totally get what you mean about going alone haha. My husband would totally be like, "let's go," "hurry up," and "what in the world are you going to do with that." Definitely leave him at home, unless there is going to be some heavy lifting going on..

-Brittany Ruth

Anonymous said...

You found some nice things, I really like those little boxes, the graphics on them are great. Have a good week! Dawn

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Thank you, thank you for the feature! Love the theme you selected! Can't wait to see all that you do with your treasures. Love the pharmacy items.
hugs,
Jann