Thursday, June 27, 2013

Painted Furniture Convert


If you've visited my blog much at all, you know that I LOVE antiques. My husband and I have collected and inherited a houseful of beautiful wood furniture and have no problem mixing birds' eye maple 


with quarter-sawn oak
satin wood:

and even rose wood:

We appreciate the characteristics of the wood, like the grain and aged patina, so painting wood is almost blasphemous to us!  However we had this one little tobacco humidor that we bought at a yard sale in Alpharetta, Georgia many years ago when we were first married just because we liked it--and we could afford it:

It had been painted, we stripped it, and I always wanted to repaint it rather than try to get the trim perfectly stripped and sanded--too much work for me!  My hubby finally agreed I could paint it.  So I DID!  

It went from looking like this in the                                                   To this:
corner of my office:
 




We both agreed it was a refreshing improvement!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great redo! And color. Still trying to find a dress form that isn't crazy expensive. I'll be heading to Tongeren Market in Belgium in a week so if there is any place to find one it would be there.

-Brittany Ruth

Loretta Castorini said...

Really pretty colour! If the wood is pristine, I can't do it, but most wood...no problem!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

The colour is really pretty. I love to mix natural wood and painted wood.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I know what you mean about painting beautiful wood Laura. I recently painted my old oak Hoosier. Was reluctant, but love it! Love the color you used. Really does pop!
hugs,
Jann

Tea in the Library said...

Perfect. One of my favorite colors. Growing up there was a bird's eye maple dresser in the house that ended up being painted the sold at a yard sale. I still think of it and hope it ended up with someone who would discover it's 'secret' and restore it to it's former glory.